Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Aqua Chair and Mirror


At an estate sale, recently, I came across this lone chair with a rose carved top.


The soiled seat cushion was duck taped to the chair.  I suppose that is one way to attach a seat cushion.

Before

After
I did not have very much Duck Egg Blue Chalk Paint left, so I mixed what I had with Paris Gray and Pure White Chalk Paint to make it go further.  What I got was a very pretty, pale aqua color.


I cut new, thicker foam for the seat cusion and reupholstered it with burlap.


After painting the chair, I sanded the entire surface to make it completely smooth and then I applied clear wax for a creamy finish.


As a finishing touch I applied Antique Gold Rub 'N Buff to all the edges of the chair and the carved floral design.  I have always really liked the look of gold paired with aqua.


 I also picked up this vintage mirror at the same estate sale.  Since I had a little of the paint mixture left, I decided to paint the old mirror the same.


The mirror had beautiful detailing, but it had a lot of chips and cracks.  I just filled them with wood filler before painting.


After painting, I sanded, distressed and waxed.  Then, I applied Gold Rub 'N Buff on the ornate, raised designs and edges of the mirror.


This post is linked to the parties on my sidebar.

9 comments:

Cassie Bustamante said...

those look lovely! love the color- so pretty!

Our Hopeful Home said...

I'm always on the lookout for chairs like this one but never find them! The colors are absolutely gorgeous on both the chair and the mirror. Great finds!

xoxo
Kathleen

Amaco said...

Thanks for using AMACO's Rub 'n Buff. It's a great finishing touch on your two projects I'd like to post this on our Facebook page for our readers to review, and link back to your blog.

Vintage Gal said...

The chair and mirror are just breathtaking. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!~ ;-)

Vicky said...

I love that colour too. Great job

Tracy said...

Great color, I love both of these pieces!

Joyce - Quilted Nest said...

Oh my - you did the perfect paint treatment to these. Beautiful!

Shabby chic Sandy said...

I love both pieces--great job!

www.MaisonStGermain.com said...

What a fabulous job you did on both of them. The roses on the chair are so similiar to to my kitchen chairs that I painted white too;)
~Debra xxx
Capers of the vintage vixens

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails